Thursday, March 22, 2012

Crystal Reports and Unicode input

Hi!

I'm trying to use Crystal Reports with our proprietory data (some of it stored in CodeBase database, some in text files, some is captured in runtime, etc). The simplest solution would be to create comma separated file and pass it to CR. It works, except our text fields can be in a variety of langauges (some european and Chinese Simplified and Traditional). Our software uses Unicode, so I'd prefer to create Unicode CSV file. These files cause CR to fail - it is obvious that CR does not realise that the file is Unicode. I tried other options, and so far I've discovered that CR can read Unicode XML files, while treating them as ADO.Net databases. This is not the best way out, as I suspect it requires .Net framework to be present on target PCs, and it's a big install.

So - any ideas? What simple format can I use to pass Unicode text to CR, or may be some other approaches.

I'm using: CR ver XI, target OS - Win2000 and XP, we can not expect target PC to have anything but Windows installed

Many thanks

balrogPS, when I said CR fails - it does not crash, it simply shows incorrect column names (the first one includes Unicode BOM), number of columns and and all values are wrong
balrog|||hi!
i'm stuck in code and i came across your post when i was searching 4 a solution.
I want to connect to crystal through an XML data source. Im using Visual C++ 6.0. I know how to do it by using an Acess db, bt cant do it using XML.
Can u tell me how?
Im using ADO to connect, bt it gives an exception:
>>_bstr_t bstrAccessConnect ("Provider='CR XML v3.6';Data Source Name='RGenXML';");

Whts wrong here? Help pleeese...

Thanx! Hope 2 hear frm u!|||In Crystal Reports (http://www.saveonsupport.com) there is a ChrW function which takes a unicode number and returns the matching character. Have you tried this?sql

No comments:

Post a Comment