Thursday, March 22, 2012

Crystal Reports LIcensing

Hi.

I am trying to establish which version of Crystal Reports I need to use.

I wish to use Crystal Reports within a Visual Basic 6 application. The report(s) will be viewed and printable from the application. I also need to distribute the VB6 application for 5 users.

I understand that in one version, the licensing for runtime requirements changed. I am trying to find out at which version it changed.

I really need to be able to do this with no runtime licensing requirements for the distributable DLLs, OCXs etc.

I have an inclination that it's either version 7, 8 or 8.5 ??

Can anyone please help and advise me as to which version I should be using?

Thanks in advance,
Darren

email: darren@.darrenbrook.fsnet.co.ukIn my Crystal Reports 8.5 book (one I bought from the bookstore, not the users manual), it said something about new licensing in version 8.5. I don't have the book with me right now, but from what I remember, it only involves paying royalties to Crystal if you use the embeddable designer that allows the user to create reports at runtime. I'm also pretty sure that you need to purchase the developer edition in order to distribute it to you clients.

Please keep in mind that this infomation may not be completely accurate, it's just what I remember reading. Your best bet is to contact Crystal and ask them.

Here's Crystal's website:
http://support.businessobjects.com

No comments:

Post a Comment