Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crystal Reports 9 - Need To Display Spanish Text

I need to display Spanish text (...accented words, upside down question marks, tildes' over the 'N's, etc...) in Crystal reports 9.

The text is coming from an Oracle database that has been updated to an 8-bit character string to properly display the text in the database.

But when the text appears in the Crystal report, none of the Spanish text characterists appear. It just comes out as plain text with a small box where a Spanish character should appear.

How do I make the text appear 'Spanish', accents and all?

I'm a Crystal novice, so please explain your solutions as non-technically as possible.

Thanks!It took me 2 days of Googling, but I found the answer to my own question which I'll share here.

Crystal Reports 9 (...and 10 and 11 as far as I know...) requires a downloadable patch that allows the report to display unicode characters in other languages.

The paper explaining this problem can be found at: http://technicalsupport.businessobjects.com/KanisaSupportSite/search.do;jsessionid=B460E0FF9F8305201D62DC3CA247AB2D?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=c2014141&sliceId=&dialogID=6000219&stateId=1%200%205998262

The downloadable patch to fix this problem can be found at:
http://technicalsupport.businessobjects.com/KanisaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--supportbusinessobjectscom-communityCS-FilesandUpdatesNoNav-cr90mainwinenzipasp&sliceId=&dialogID=6060592&stateId=1%200%206058581

This is the patch for correcting this problem for English unicode characters. There are also patches available for French, German and Japanese unicode characters as well.

I hope this helps anyone who has run into the same problem.

Zando

No comments:

Post a Comment