Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crystal reports across multiple pages

Using crystal reports, I want to display many fields from the database. All the fields does not fit in single page, even with maximum page length. If I have some 30 fields, is it possible to display first 20 fields in page 1 and remaining fields in page 2? And continue the same in page 3/4, 5/6 etc? :confused:Yes. You can format the page layout to do so. Add the 20 fields in page one. Add a New section (i.e. page) then add the remaining 10 fields.

Hope This helps,
Vinny P|||Thanks for the response. :wave:
But, while adding the section, I could not see any option to add the page. There are options to add report header, page header, group header, footers etc, but not for adding the page itself. :confused:
Can you make it more clear?|||I think what shashidharkr had in mind was being able to display very wide reports, one data row on the line, spanning multiple pages horizontally. The answer is "no". You cannot create wider reports than your printer driver supports. This is one of the most annoying limitations of the Crystal Reports. If your printer driver supports A2 landscape, you are lucky, but when displaying and printing this report on another machine or printer, the report will be truncated to whatever other printer driver supports.

The only exception is the crosstab object that can span itself to multiple pages. So there is a tricky workaround to use a hidden crosstab to span a usual report:
http://support.businessobjects.com/library/kbase/articles/c2014205.asp
But it comes with severe limitations (only first page will be spanned, the export to excel will be ruined etc).

For myself, I choose A3-landscape for wide reports. A3 is supported by most printer drivers. For extra-wide reports, I use A2-landscape. On client machine, the report gets truncated on the screen but export to excel will still export all fields.|||wapper,
You got my problem right! ;)

It is really surprising to know that crystal report has such a serious limitation. :o I need to create wide report, which spans across more than one page and thousands of rows of data. Even the workaround suggested by you may not be of much help, as I have many rows of data.

I think it makes no sense to limit the report width based on the paper sizes! If the report is wider, it should span to next page. I understand other reporting tools like cognos has such feature.

Any clue, if crystal report is going to fix this in future releases atleast? I hope this is in Seagate's agends. However, if we want to voice our concern, where can this be raised?|||I think it makes no sense to limit the report width based on the paper sizes! If the report is wider, it should span to next page. I understand other reporting tools like cognos has such feature.

The problem is, Crystal uses windows forms to compose the layout of the report. Forms are related to printer driver. You can experiment with creating custom forms (Control panel-Printers-File-Server properties-Forms) but custom forms are for one computer only, and IIRC there was also a limitation that you cannot create larger forms than some value, can't remember what exactly the limit was.

Any clue, if crystal report is going to fix this in future releases atleast? I hope this is in Seagate's agends. However, if we want to voice our concern, where can this be raised?

If you find such place, please let me know :) I got toooons of stuff to complain about Crystal.|||wapper
Thanks again for the response.

You can experiment with ....
Unfortunately, I can't spend more time on this :) . I have to look for some feasible workarounds. :ehh: I strongly feel that Seagate should resolve this problem. Being widely used report tool, such a major drawback should be addressed immediately. :rolleyes: Still I can't digest that Crystal imposes such a serious limitation on it's users! :(

Just to draw analogy, page width should be independent of paper size as in excel. Irrespective of the width, if paper width is less, excel prints in next page.

I got toooons of stuff to complain about Crystal.
Can the moderators or any others help on this?|||This problem has always been around and it is still not fixed in CR XI. Guess it is some kind of fundamental feature that can't be changed easily. Of course Crystal guys are aware of it because people have been crying for ages but still no solution, only workarounds.

You can try different support options in their web if you want to yell at someone. BTW there is also bunch of forums there. I don't know if those are actually monitored by Crystal.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment