Sunday, March 25, 2012

Crystal Reports XI and Sql Server

Hello everyone,
I am new to crystal reports. Ive been through some of the sample reports and have been learning. All of the samples use the Extreme Database that comes with Crystal Reports. Now I want to practice connecting to my SQL Server database but I havnt been able to figure that out. In the database expert there is every possible database type from MS Access to Oracle, DB2, Informix, Sybase.whatever, but there is no way I have found to connect to an SQL Server directly. The only way I have been able to connect is by creating a DSN for my SQL Server Database and connecting via DSN. Even though I have set my DSN to use integrated security, Im still prompted to enter a user name and password when I refresh the report. The report initially opens without prompting for user name and password.

Has SQL Server been completely left out of the loop in Crystal Reports? Can anyone let me know how to connect to SQL Server directly?

Thanks
GEMCreating the DSN is the way to go. I started by adding an ODBC connection, and adding a system connection, CR will prompt you for a password unless you embed it into the report. (If you embed the password, others with CR may be able to see it) I created a ODBC DSN on my computer, and a matching one (Name Case must match) on my SQL box. ivr_report is the DSN name in this case. Then, open CR, add a ODBC (RDO) connection, select your DSN from the list, (In this case ivr_report), once you have the connection, you can select your tables or views. Hope this helps.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment