Thursday, March 22, 2012

crystal reports and Sql Server 2k

Has anyone had any luck getting Crystal Reports 8.5 to work with the
Sql Server 2000?

I keep getting a "Unable to open Database" error. I've tried opening
with either the .Connect property and the LogOnServer method and get
the same message from either approach.I am using the OCX control.

Does this version work with Ms Sql?
Any thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

-Dave"dschl" <dschl@.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1105990335.340202.156830@.z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> Has anyone had any luck getting Crystal Reports 8.5 to work with the
> Sql Server 2000?
> I keep getting a "Unable to open Database" error. I've tried opening
> with either the .Connect property and the LogOnServer method and get
> the same message from either approach.I am using the OCX control.
> Does this version work with Ms Sql?
> Any thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.
> Thanks.
> -Dave

Unfortunately, it seems you're not the only person to have problems:

http://groups.google.ch/groups?q=sq...ial&sa=N&tab=wg

But it is a supported combination, so if it isn't working, then perhaps
BO/Crystal can help you:

http://support.businessobjects.com/...es/c2009948.asp

Simon|||Taking a wild guess here. I suspect it's nothing to do with SQL.
Crystal uses various DLL's to access various parts of it's reports.
There will be one for database connectivity and one for graphs etc...
Quite a lot if I remember correctly.

I had problems with Crystal 10 and SQL 7 and found the issues were not
documented too well but weren't SQL issues. I had to use
http://www.dependencywalker.com/ to walk through the DLL's to find
which ones were needed.

Worth a quick check before delving into any SQL issues.

Ryan

dschl wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck getting Crystal Reports 8.5 to work with the
> Sql Server 2000?
> I keep getting a "Unable to open Database" error. I've tried opening
> with either the .Connect property and the LogOnServer method and get
> the same message from either approach.I am using the OCX control.
> Does this version work with Ms Sql?
> Any thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.
> Thanks.
> -Dave|||Thanks for the feedback. However, I have already done a Google search
and that's how I got here. I have found little information through the
search and nothing specific to this issue.

I also have seen the list of supported platforms, but this doesn't help
with the problem I'm seeing.

A little more detail, just in case someone has solved this one --
- The client platofrm is Win98,
- The client has installed the latest mdac as part of the MsSql install
- VB connects to the MsSql server through ADO, without error and data
flows as expected
- CR8.5 .LogOnServer method succeeds, returning an incremented instance
index.
- CR8.5 .Action=1 is the call that causes the "Unable to open database"
message.

Any other thoughts on this one?

-Dave|||dschl (dschl@.earthlink.net) writes:
> A little more detail, just in case someone has solved this one --
> - The client platofrm is Win98,
> - The client has installed the latest mdac as part of the MsSql install
> - VB connects to the MsSql server through ADO, without error and data
> flows as expected
> - CR8.5 .LogOnServer method succeeds, returning an incremented instance
> index.
> - CR8.5 .Action=1 is the call that causes the "Unable to open database"
> message.

We use Crystal Reports exentensively in our application. We have never had
any problems with Crystal connecting to SQL Server - we never try. The
database Crystal sees is a TTX file. The VB code access SQL Server and
then feeds Crystal a recordset.

I have no idea whether this is workable in your case. Personally, I try
to avoid contact with Crystal as much as possible.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment