Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cross database manipulation

Hi everyone!

I recently found out that using ADO to connect to the SQL server without mentionning the data source; then, by sending a query with the following syntax: dbname.owner.tablename.columnname... an implicit connection to the data source (database) is performed automatically. This way of connecting allowed me to manipulate accross two or more databases thing that is necessary in my project.
My question is:

1- Do anyone have any bad experience and/or negative consequence to such connectivity (memory consumption, unexpected disconnection, ...)? Please consider a very high frequency of manipulation since we are dealing here with a 24/24 hour operational site.

2- Are there any alternative solutions for cross database manipulation (select, insert, update, delete)?

ThanksGot Code?

Personally I don't believe it...

I googled this...

http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm|||I've found using three part names to work lovely on databases on the same server, and ]url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/acdata/ac_8_qd_12_5vvp.asp]four part names[/url] work for databases on other servers (assuming that permissions are Ok).

These are 100% supported, and a nice, clean way to get access to remote data.

-PatP

No comments:

Post a Comment