Saturday, February 25, 2012

Crystal 10 grouping layout issue

I need some assistance with some layout issues I am having with a report. I have searched through help for the software as well as a book I have and so far having absolutely no luck in fixing my problem!

I have a report that groups by Country and then by site (multiple sites within a country) and I have totals(summaries) for each of those categories. The problem that it is splitting up in the middle of the detail data for site groupings from the end of one page and continuing to the top of another page. I am wanting to keep all the site detail data together for any one site and not have it split between pages in the middle of the data. I have made sure on the group expert and section expert that "keep together" is checked and in the group footer 1(country) in the section expert I have checked New Page After with the formula Not OnLastRecord which helps in the differentiation between the countries for layout, but not sure what else I can do to keep site detail data together. I am wracking my brain and I have tried everything I already know how to do and absolutely having no luck.

Help a girl out please!

Thanks!

StacyDid you enable "keep together" option for both Country and Site groups? This should provide you with enough protection against splitting details. This option will also keep together group headers and footers where the summary fields are usually displayed.
Again, you should use "keep together" option in groups, not sections, because keeping together sections will not keep together your group summaries.

When kept together, the group will only be split if it cannot fit into a single page. In rare occasions, though, the summary for such group can still be moved to the next page, leaving all detail rows to prevous page, *IF* the detail rows will occupy exactly 1 page. I call it orphaned summary. There are 2 workaround technics for avoiding orphaned footers in Crystal knowledge base:

http://support.businessobjects.com/library/kbase/articles/c2000973.asp
http://support.businessobjects.com/library/kbase/articles/c2004981.asp

Hope it helps.|||I did uncheck "Keep Together" in all of the group sections and in the details section. I kept the "Keep Together" checked on the group expert for each grouping and that seemed to resolve things for two of the reports, however there is still one report where the details are still splitting up. It's one of the bigger reports of course so not sure if it's just a matter of size, guess I will find out as those reports grow as to whether or not the issue is really fixed with them. No issues with orphaned/widowed summaries though.

Essentially here is what it would look like and it seems to only be a problem on the first page with that includes the report header, the rest of the report is just fine with no splitting of details.

Top of page 1
RH
PH
GH1 - Country
GH2
D
D
D
GF2
End of page 1
GH2
D - Site, patient
D - Site, patient
D - Site, patient
PF
Top of Page 2
PH
D - Site, patient
D - Site, patient
GF2 - summary of sites

No idea if this helps at all. Group Footer 1 is hidden as is Report Footer|||Two things I would try - first, remove "keep together" for outer group, as this group cannot be kept together anyway. Second, I would create a new report based only on couple of tables used for grouping. Then I would insert the same 2 groups and see if the behaviour will be the same.

BTW, you have CR10 SP4 applied, don't you?|||Okay removing the "Keep Together" on the outer group seems to have taken care of it. Still having our IT folks install the service pack regardless. Thanks for the tip on that and for all the help. Literally I had been working on this for several weeks and was not about to give up. Again thank you so much!

Stacy|||No prob :D

No comments:

Post a Comment