Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cross dimension security filtering

If i have for example dimensions like Country and City (both containing a huge list). If i don't set a hierarchy for this and i create a report and i filter on Country and my second filter is City than i will get ALL city's listed instead of only the city's in the Country i've selected in my first filter.

We can easily fix this by making a hierarchy.

But my problem is now that my cube contains 15 dimensions and i want them all to filter each other in the dimension list in my reports. I cannot build one hierarchy that covers everything. Isn't there an alternative way to make dimensions filter each other as parameters ?

I've researched this for a while now and i'm starting to think there is no other way which is a huge sitback for analysis services as now people who only have access to the country Netherland can see all SalesRepresentatives from all over the world. I would have to add a hierarchy to filter them out but its not that easy. Certain SalesReps are in multiple country's and versa vi. This is only one of my problem dimensions i have alot of them like this. There should be a way that they automaticly filter each other without hierarchy building. But that is impossible right ?

Take a look at the NON EMPTY keyword. I think you'll find what you are looking for there.

There is also a NONEMPTY function. (Note the lack of a space between the two words.) That function, the EXISTS function, and the EXISTING keyword have behaviors you might also find helpful in different scenarios.

Good luck,

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment