Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Crystal Enterprise and massive report distribution to multiple destinations?

Hi,
Before we have used Oracle Reports for our application.
Now, customer wants to move to Crystal Reports.
The Oracle Report Server provided a great and rather simple interface for printing many reports in short time and sending them to multiple destination.
So, we had a function to run report and provided report definition file (.rpt for crystal reports), a destination (printer, mail(s), pdf, etc.) and some auth information as parameters and started distribution easily.
Does Crystal Reports or Crystal Enterprise provides such an interface?!
I've looked into the documentation yesterday and this morning but couldn't find anything simple and appropriate. I see there's Report Job Server and Page Job Server, which I assume provide some kind of queueing, but what is the interface to these servers? Is it simple and easy to use for massive report distribution to different locations?
I'm not interested in preview at all. Just need a lot of 'End of day' reports to printer and to files/emails. Also, I would like to have a central reporting service in my application which would forward print requests to report server and I don't need to use UI controls in my clients (Win and Web Forms). I would like that clients only send the report, auth and destination details and that the central reporting service forward the request to report job server.
How can Crystal Reports/Enterprise help me?Enterprise is a WEB based report server
You can schedule as many reports you want, with different scope fo each of them.
You can add all your user to the enterprise server and decide if they can only view, generate, schedule reports they can access.
You can use Windows authentication or Enterprise authentication, create group, assign privileges per group ( in fact by objects... user, report, group, viewver, scheduler...)

ask your nearest dealer to show you an installed application, I think that's the best...

Luc

No comments:

Post a Comment